CBB Review hands out awards for each conference tournament in 2023. Up next: The SWAC Tournament.
In my SWAC tournament preview, I predicted a Grambling vs. Southern final. I was half-right, with 8th-seeded Texas Southern defeating Grambling to earn their 3rd-straight ticket to the NCAA Tournament. An early 31-15 lead was enough of a margin for the Tigers of Houston to hold on and beat… the Tigers of.
CBB Review SWAC Tournament Outstanding Player
PJ Henry, Texas Southern
Henry was outstanding all throughout the tournament, including the championship game. In three games, the senior from Houston averaged 18.7 PPG and 3.3 RPG. In the title game, he scored 19 points to lead all scorers. His best game came in the semifinal against Alabama A&M where he scored 26 points.
CBB Review All-SWAC Tournament First Team
- G: Messiah Thompson, Alabama A&M – 2 games played (18.0 PPG, 3.0 APG, 3.0 RPG, 1.0 SPG)
- G: PJ Henry, Texas Southern – 3 games played (18.7 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 1.3 APG)
- G: Cam Christon, Grambling – 3 games played (14.3 PPG, 3.0 RPG, 1.3 APG, 2.7 SPG)
- F: Davon Barnes, Texas Southern – 3 games played (17.3 PPG, 7.3 RPG, 1.7 APG)
- F: Jourdan Smith, Grambling – 3 games played (13.7 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 1.3 APG, 1.3 BPG)
Texas Southern’s NCAA Tournament Prediction
Round of 64
Texas Southern, in their last three tournament appearances, have won a game in the First Four as a 16 seed then lost in the Round of 64. That streak should continue given the Tigers’ 14-20 record, the third 20-loss team in the tournament ever.
If they take down Fairleigh Dickinson in the First Four, they’ll end up playing Purdue in the first round. A 14-20 team trying to defend Zach Edey? Goodnight.