CBB Review hands out awards for each conference tournament in 2023. Up next: The Big Ten Tournament.
The Big Ten Tournament was full of upsets, and a double digit seed made the championship for the first time ever. However, the best team in the conference in Purdue ultimately took home the title in a win over Penn State.
CBB Review Big Ten Tournament Most Outstanding Player
Zach Edey, Purdue
How could it not be him? The National Player of the Year continue to adds to his trophy case, bringing home Most Outstanding Player. Zach Edey averaged 26 points and 12.7 rebounds, reminding everyone why he is the most dominant player in college basketball.
CBB Review All-Big Ten Tournament First Team
- G: Bruce Thornton, Ohio State – 4 games played (15.5 PPG, 4.3 APG, 2.8 RPG, 1.3 SPG)
- G: Jalen Pickett, Penn State – 4 games played (16.5 PPG, 7.8 RPG, 4.5 APG)
- G: Seth Lundy, Penn State – 4 games played (17.0 PPG, 7.8 RPG, 0.8 APG, 37.5 3P%)
- C: Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana – 2 games played (24.0 PPG, 10.0 RPG, 7.0 APG)
- C: Zach Edey, Purdue – 3 games played (26.0 PPG, 12.7 RPG, 2.7 APG, 56.6 FG%)
Purdue’s NCAA Tournament Prediction
Potentially Purdue’s scariest matchup before the Elite Eight could be in the round of 32 against either Memphis or FAU. Teams have pieces to try and hurt Purdue’s drop coverage, but very few teams have someone who can stop Zach Edey. Especially on a short prep that will occur.
At the end of the day, I think the three point shooting is what decides Purdue’s fate. If they can knock down 35-38% of their shots from deep, they can beat anyone in the country. When that doesn’t happen, it becomes much tougher for them to win.