CBB Review hands out awards for each conference tournament in 2023. Up next: The MEAC Tournament.
In George Bagwell’s MEAC tournament preview, he predicted a Maryland-Eastern Shore vs. North Carolina Central final. He was incorrect, with Howard defeating Norfolk State to punch its ticket to the NCAA Tournament. A turnover on a crucial inbounds play dashed Norfolk State’s hopes and Howard won 65-64.
CBB Review MEAC Tournament Outstanding Player
Joe Bryant Jr., Norfolk State
Even though Norfolk State ended up on the wrong side of the MEAC podium in the championship game, it was no fault of Joe Bryant’s. The senior guard scored 18 points in the championship and averaged 22 PPG and 5.7 RPG over three games played. The senior likely ended his collegiate career in heartbreaking fashion, but he had quite the effort in trying to get the Spartans back to the NCAA Tournament.
CBB Review All-MEAC Tournament First Team
- G: Joe Bryant Jr., Norfolk State – 3 games played (22.0 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 1.0 APG, 3.0 SPG)
- G: Zion Styles, Maryland-Eastern Shore – 2 games played (13.0 PPG, 2.5 RPG, 4.0 SPG)
- G: Justin Wright, North Carolina Central – 2 games played (18.0 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 3.0 APG)
- G: Eric Boone, North Carolina Central – 2 games played (12.0 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 4.5 APG, 1.5 SPG)
- F: Shy Odom, Howard – 3 games played (12.7 PPG, 6.0 RPG, 2.0 APG, 1.0 BPG)
Howard’s NCAA Tournament Prediction
Round of 64
The MEAC champion has played in the First Four as a 16 seed in four of the past five tournaments, and Howard will likely join that number this year. However, the Bison are more talented than a number of teams that have already clinched automatic bids, and it would not be surprising to see them win a game in the First Four to advance to the Round of 64. Ultimately, the Bison do not have the talent or size to compete with any of the projected 1 seeds in the tournament, and will likely go home to DC with a nice check from the NCAA and their first NCAA tournament appearance since 1992.