CBB Review hands out awards for each conference tournament in 2023. Up next: The Horizon League Tournament.
The storyline coming into the Horizon League Tournament was whether Antoine Davis could break the all-time scoring record. He came up just short, but he may have a chance to break it in a postseason tournament. On the outcome side, there were a few teams up near the top that all had realistic chances, but it was ultimately Northern Kentucky that was able to punch their ticket.
CBB Review Horizon League Tournament Most Outstanding Player
Marques Warrick, Northern Kentucky
Marques Warrick was one of the best players all year in the Horizon League, and he continued that play into the tournament. He had a game-high 22 points in the Semifinal upset over Youngstown State. He followed it up with 18 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 steals in the Horizon League Tournament championship game to help Northern Kentucky get their first automatic bid since 2019.
CBB Review All-Horizon League Tournament First Team
- G: Antoine Davis, Detroit Mercy – 2 games played (30.0 PPG, 5.0 APG, 4.0 RPG, 3.0 SPG)
- G: Trey Calvin, Wright State – 2 games played (21.0 PPG, 2.5 APG, 2.5 RPG, 2.0 SPG)
- G: Marques Warrick, Northern Kentucky – 2 games played (20.0 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 0.0 APG, 2.0 SPG)
- G: BJ Freeman, Milwaukee – 2 games played (24.0 PPG, 5.0 RPG, 3.5 APG)
- F: Tristan Enaruna, Cleveland State – 2 games played (20.5 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 1.0 APG, 53.3 FG%)
Northern Kentucky’s NCAA Tournament Prediction
First Four/First Round
This will ultimately depend on where Northern Kentucky gets seeded. Right now they are seeded as one of the bottom 16 seeds, so it is possible that they get placed in the First Four. If that happens, I think they have enough defense to win a game. However, they do not seem like they will have nearly enough offensive firepower to give a 1 seed a really good run in a game. It has been a fun season for Northern Kentucky, and they were able to finish the regular season and tournament very hot.